Wednesday 1 July 2015

Homemade tofu and how to save your curdless milk






Got the recipe from here and from here. However, the first one worked out better. Here my story about how I saved my failed trial using lemon just as the second recipe instructed. Check below for the recipe!

I tried to make tofu using lemon and I got a very soft texture, impossible to work with and not so many curds :( -- However, still I'm going to use it to make a creamy smoothie <3-- for a moment I thought I was screwed and that I'd have to throw away the rest of the milk. I even added more lemon but nothing happened.

So, I came across the first recipe . Epsom salt! That nasty flavored thing that I drank when I was on a cleansing >_< but don't worry, the flavor won't affect our tofu! 

I just dissolved 1 and1/2  tbsp in 3/4 cup of water. I brought my milk to boil again for some minutes and let it cool for some minutes. As soon as the Epsom mixture hit the milk.... CURDS HAPPENED! 
Minutes after, I strained it very well, applied some pressure coz I wanted firm tofu and it worked wonderfully!!!!

My lemon soy milk was saved and transformed into tofu. Check out the recipe or just read my simple summary with some variations!

Ingredients:

+ 2 cups soy beans soaked for a day
+1 and 1/2 tbsp of Epsom salt (Got mine at the drugstore. Make sure is the edible one)
+ 7 to 8 cups of water

-Blend the beans 1 cup at a time with some water. Remember you can add more water after
-Dissolve the Epsom salt in half a cup of water. Cold or warm.
-Boil for 20 min. Watch out for the foam. I boiled mine for a few minutes unlike the recipe and I separated the okara (save it for cookies or cake before boiling the milk and still it worked fine
-Remove from the stove and let it cool for a couple of minutes. Get the Epsom salt mixture and pour half of it. Stir to incorporate everything. Curds start to form. Add the rest, stir a bit more and let it rest for 10 to 15 min. You should be able to see a  distinctive separation: the curds and yellowish water.
-Place a mesh cloth or a simple cloth (like an old cotton t-shirt) over a strain which is over a pan and strain and squeeze the water out for firm tofu
-Wrap the tofu with the cloth and put some pressure on top. I used my big honey bottle 
-Wait for an hour or 2, remove from the cloth. It should be firm. Soak in very cold water for some minutes.
-I placed mine in a glass container with the same cold water and store it in the fridge. 

Voila. You want fried tofu?? cut it in long squares, add soy sauce, thyme, garlic and onion powder, some cumin, some turmeric and marinate for 1 hour. Fry and Eat in a sandwich or salad! IT'S FREAKING DELICIOUS! and let's not forget it's packed with proteins
 :)






















No comments:

Post a Comment